Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I know this means something

Making music is easily one of the most meaningful things in my life.  I began making music seemingly by chance, though I'd like to think it was fated. 
I had a friend back in third grade who took piano lessons at this small music school.  She invited me to sit in a few lessons with her.  I started pestering my parents to let me take lessons.  Mostly because I wanted to be like my friend and do the things she was doing.  So we bought a small 44-key electric and signed me up for weekly lessons.  Now it's eight years later and I'm playing in the school musical. 
I started singing in a similarly spontaneous way.  It was the summer before freshman year and I was programming with my new counselor.  For some reason, she told me I had to take seven classes (I didn't know any better).  I had no idea what I was going to pick, I hadn't planned it out beforehand.  Instead of awkwardly wasting my counselor's time picking my final class, I looked for the first thing on the list.  What was it?  Beginning mixed chorus.  Now it's four years later and I'm singing in chamber choir.  
It's hard to imagine what I would do without music.  It evokes feelings and expressions in me that aren't strictly intellectual.  I'm sure at the root of it, there is some biological explanation for the way the pitches and frequencies vibrating in my ear drums are processed in the primal sensory cortexes of my brain.  But on a conscious level, I believe music has a meaning and power beyond its literal definition.  It is a way of communicating beyond words.  A language that all people can understand.  One can recognize the mood difference between the Entertainer and Mozart's Requiem just by understanding the language of booming minor chords versus allegro majors.  Yet both fine crafts can be appreciated in their own rights. 
I believe music has the power to bring people together, and at least for myself, it is something I must be a part of.  When the waking day is spent just with thoughts of language and speech bouncing from person to person, sometimes it's nice to settle back on an ancient language of feeling.  It touches those primordial parts of our beings that did not used to need words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment