Saturday, November 10, 2012

Direction for this Class

I would like to start off by saying this is easily one of my all time favorite high school classes.  I feel like I can go in to this classroom knowing that I will have more to think about than when I came in.  I can go in there and know I will be interested in that day's topic of discussion.  And that at the end of the year I will come out a more intellectual and mature person than when I started. 
What improvements would I suggest for the class?  I don't feel like the discussion is balanced enough.  Sorry guys, what you say is really interesting, but we really need a system of participation that allows for more than the occasional outside comment. 
Also, I think the class needs a little more outside input.  I know we've read two books by great philosophers of old, but I think modern views are also very relevant.  We could watch short videos or read articles from outside philosophy professors.  Ideas from students are interesting, but a lot of times we end up going in circles and not truly addressing the point when we let the discussion get diverted in class (as interesting as these diversions are).  Maybe the class would have a little more direction if we brought in points of views from other people.  
Other than that, I think the class is going really well.  Even if we left it the way it is things would still be great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment